What is your favorite Fly-in location? Here are some of ours:
- EKY Bessemer, AL The Hangar, a new on-field restaurant. Bob Steward says: "I've been to this Sports bar with aviation theme, good $100 burger, etc." Region 4 had a fly-in Saturday Feb 21 @ lunch. 9 Aircraft and 18 attendees, reviews were very positive, with requests to meet there again.
- JKA Gulf Shores, AL Jack Edwards Airport is just off the Gulf Coast, and convenient to many "Beach" activities and lots of choices for food. Jimmy Buffet's sister has a restaurant Lulu's at Homeport just up the road, as well as every kind of fresh-caught seafood, available from roadside stands to white tablecloth establishments. And don't forget those white sand beaches that AL and FL panhandle coasts are known for...
- MEZ Mena, AR Aircraft paint and engine shops -- of interest if you are thinking paint/engine/upholstery. Stephen Coffey Be advised, after a long flight, there isn't a beer for MILES. And the Sun Country Inn is much newer/nicer than the other options if you get the "privilege" of getting socked in for 3 days like I did. Bob Steward says: "I can second the recommendation for Sun Country Inn. I've stayed there and at 2 other local motels while working at the Mena Airport on various Grummans. Lime Tree has a nice restaurant (Sun Country has no food), but the building is older and the rooms less nice than Sun Country. I ate breakfast at Lime Tree multiple times."
- 55J Fernandina Beach / Amelia Island. Stephen Coffey The Ritz there occasionally does last minute specials at a good price. The airport is a 5 minute cab ride to the hotel. Downtown is kinda quaint and cool. Quick and easy SE get away.
- FFC Falcon Field Peachtree City, GA Aircraft Spruce East, Dixie Wing of Confederate Air Force Restoration Center
- LZU Gwinnett County Lawrenceville, GA EAA 690 Pancake Breakfast 1st Saturday every month. Program follows @ 10:30
- PDK Dekalb-Peachtree in North Atlanta, GA Downwind Restaurant (on the second story of the Administration Building next to Epps Air Service). Has balcony/deck for outdoor dining when Wx is good.
- RYY Cobb County Airport-Mc Collum Field Elevation Chophouse Stephen Coffey "Higher end food, but pretty good. Nice HUGE glass wall facing the runway."
- OWB Owensboro, KY Moonlight BBQ (not on field, only a short drive), Bill and Carol Scott's Precision Engine shop. Bob Steward says: "I visit Moonlight BBQ everytime I stop by Precision Engine to see Bill and Carol."
- 12N Aeroflex, NJ Kittatiny State Park Nice biking and hiking trails start at the airport, Boating - lake 100 yards from the runway. Bring your own inflatable boat or bicycles.
- 61S Cottage Grove, OR The Row River Trail is a paved bike path that goes miles from Cottage Grove up to Culp Creek. Join the path where is passes just outside the entrance to the Cottage Grove airport, and enjoy 15 miles of converted railroad right of way that passes three preserved covered bridges and Dorena Lake.
- 7S5 Independence, OR Starduster Cafe Best on-airport food in the Willamette Valley. Open daily, 6AM-3PM. Breakfast and lunch served all day.
- LNS Lancaster, PA Fiorentinos Good Italian restaurant located in the terminal building. There is also a small pilot shop located in the FBO. The FBO will send a van for you, or you can walk (~10 minutes).
- BCE Bryce Canyon, UT Bryce Canyon National Park The national park entrance is about 3 miles from the airport, and Ruby's Inn will send a shuttle to pick you up from the airport. From the Inn, park shuttle busses travel the main road of the park, so you don't need a rental car. Ruby's has hotel rooms, cabins, tent sites, or you can spend the night in a tepee.